One type of degenerative-dystrophic disease of the intervertebral disc is cervical osteochondrosis, which can be treated at home. The main goal is to complement and improve the work of classical treatment methods (medicine, physiotherapy).
Description of pathology
Symptoms of osteochondrosis of the cervical spine will affect several organs and systems at once due to the specialty of blood supply and maintenance:
- Disruption of motor activity in the upper limbs.
- Severe pain syndrome (especially in the acute phase).
- Visual and hearing system violations. Tinnitus may occur. Pathological changes in blood circulation (vertebral artery syndrome) lead to the appearance of "flies" in front of the eyes, loss of visual field.
- Sensory damage (limb numbness).
- Headache (due to hypoxia).
Some stages of disease development can be distinguished:
- Acute (first 2-3 weeks). Clinical picture is pronounced, but small changes in osteocondral apparatus.
- Subakut (3-6 weeks). In the clinic, pain remains the main symptom, and signs of bone destruction appear in the picture.
- Chronic (over 6 weeks). This clinic shows rare and mild syndromes (pain relief, restriction of movement). The picture shows significant changes in the articular surface. Intervertebral hernias often occur (bone structures become brittle).
Treatment of cervical osteochondrosis is allowed at home, along with other methods of therapy (pills, physiotherapy). As a rule, the effectiveness of alternative treatments is much lower, but many repetitions of such courses of treatment are allowed (after 3-4 courses, patients begin to feel relieved).
It is possible to treat cervical osteochondrosis at home, but only if the following conditions are met:
- Level of compensation or subcompensation (no clinical or minor manifestations).
- Consultation with a doctor (rheumatologist, therapist).
- No allergic reactions to treatment components.
Benefits of Home Treatment:
- Availability at any time.
- Save money.
Lack of Therapy:
- Improper selection of funds and, consequently, lack of impact, possible deterioration of the situation.
- Improper training.
- Possible occurrence of concomitant diseases caused by wrong self-treatment tactics.
Complex exercise therapy
While exercising with cervical osteochondrosis, intense pain should not be allowed. Take the course exclusively according to the individual ability of the body, from any position (standing, sitting, lying down).
Training set selected by the specialist.
- bending head / extension;
- round head movement;
- bend forward / backward, right / left.
Exercise therapy, physiotherapy and cervical cervical zone massage are performed in the complex within a few weeks.
- massage yourself;
One of the options for reflexology is using a special plate. It is based on mechanical action in the conservation zone.
This device can be purchased at a specialized pharmacy and used independently as a masseur.
Rub from pharmaceutical products
There are currently a large number of pharmaceutical injections and lotions, which eliminate the need for self-preparation.
This grit includes the following elements:
- Essential oils (sage, mint, lemon balm, aloe vera, tea tree).
- Analgesic to relieve pain.
- Irritant (pepper, mustard).
- Antiseptic (alcohol, bulb).
Apply each according to the attached instructions.
Folk solutions and recipes
Prescription folk remedies in the treatment of cervical osteochondrosis have long been known for their effectiveness and simplicity. How and how to treat cervical osteochondrosis at home - this is the most well-known and effective traditional medical method used in patients with pathology of the musculoskeletal system, in particular, osteochondrosis of the cervical spine.
Herbs in the treatment of osteochondrosis at home are the most popular among the population. Medicines are available at any pharmacy in the city.
The application does not bring much effect and repetitive treatment with short interruptions. Age restrictions are also conditional (admission is allowed for children if there are no contraindications).
You should know that all infusions, lotions, compresses are not recommended for hot wear. The reason is that warming the affected area can provoke the spread of purulent infections (phlegmon, abscess), especially if there is micro damage in this area. The hot substance has a negative effect on people with hypertension associated with osteochondrosis.
In this treatment option, the roots of this plant are used (you can prepare it yourself or buy it at the pharmacy).
Root or 2 teaspoons of dry matter pour 1 cup boiling water. Insist for 24 hours, then moisten with gauze and apply on the collar. The course of treatment is 7 days.
Needles have significant tanning properties. There are several ways to implement this:
- In a strong bath. Pour 1 liter of boiling water over a few feet of pine and leave for 2 hours. Then pour the resulting solution into a bathtub at 38C. The duration of the bath is 30 minutes. 7-day course.
- In the infusion. Pour 2 teaspoons of dry matter with 70% alcohol solution and leave for 3 days. Rub the affected area 2 times a day. The settlement period is 14 days.
- Boil pine feet for 5 minutes. Strain the resulting gravy and rub for 20 minutes.
Has mild anti-inflammatory properties. Enhances metabolic processes in tissues. Use case:
- Take 2-3 teaspoons of dry matter and pour boiling water (300 ml). Insist for an hour and rub into the cervical area until a slight redness appears. 7-day course.
- Pour 3 teaspoons of dandelion flowers and medicinal chamomile (1: 1) with 70% alcohol solution. Insist for 24 hours, then apply 2 times a day.
Infusion of pine
Method of preparation: pour 2-3 tablespoons of kidney with boiling water and, after complete cooling, apply on the affected area. 8-day course.
Compresses and applications
Treatment of cervical osteochondrosis with folk methods includes many compresses and lotions, but you need to remember a few basic rules when using:
- Frequent repetition in treatment (usually 2-3). The reason is that the effectiveness of therapy is very low in one course.
- The effect of the treatment is more noticeable if you wrap a scarf / towel around the damaged area. The reason is the effect of additional heat in addition to the action of drugs.
50 ml kerosene, mix with 2-3 teaspoons of sunflower oil and 1-2 teaspoons of baking soda Rub the resulting mixture into the neck collar zone for 20 minutes. The course of therapy is 15 days.
The mixture is annoying and must be used with caution.
Compresses, infusions and lotions and potatoes are the most common treatments. There are several reasons for this:
- availability; efficiency
- lack of strict contraindications (except essence allergies).
- Grate the potatoes and finely chop. Form the resulting dry mixture into a cake and apply to the affected area for 20 minutes. The course of therapy is 2 weeks.
- Boil potatoes (3-4) on the skin. Then crush and wrap in a rag. Apply warm potatoes to the neck collar zone for 20 minutes (avoid the formation of burns). The course of therapy is 7 days.
Carrots are irritating, so exposure time should be reduced according to individual tolerance.
Examples of radish usage:
- Grate the radish on a fine grater and strain through a sieve. Apply the resulting dry mixture to the cervical spine for 10-20 minutes. The course of therapy is 2 weeks.
- Grate carrots and strain. Mix the juice produced with honey in a ratio of 1: 3. Pour the solution with alcohol and leave in a dark room for 3 days. Then moisten the gauze with the infusion and apply for 10-20 minutes on the affected area. The course of therapy is 7 days.
Sour cream and comfrey
Comfrey has strong astringent and anti-inflammatory effects. The plant roots are rubbed on a fine grater and mixed with sour cream until gruel is obtained (usually a 1: 1 ratio). In the cervical area for 2 minutes and for 7 days.
Recipe with honey
Honey has an almost large list of useful nutrients:
The only contraindication is an allergic reaction or individual intolerance.
The most popular honey recipes:
- Pure honey. Rub honey (50–100 g) into the affected area for 20 minutes. The course of therapy is 15 days.
- Mix 50 g of honey and 2 teaspoons of mustard and rub the creamy mixture on the neck for 20-30 minutes. The course of therapy is 2 weeks.
- Mix honey (20-40 mg), aloe juice (5 ml) and tea tree oil (2-4 drops). Stir well and apply for 20 minutes. The course of therapy is 9 days.
Treatment of cervical osteochondrosis can be done at home by rubbing the affected area with infusion and decoction.
This method is based on two mechanisms:
- mechanical stress;
- herbal medicine effects.
Mother and Stepmother
Both flowers and plant stems can be used in the preparation of infusions. While cooking, pour 70% alcohol and leave for 4 weeks in a dark room. Afterwards, strain the solution through a cheeseclot cloth and store in a glass container out of the reach of children.
Method of use: rub with light massage movements to the affected area 2 times a day for 10-15 minutes. The course of therapy is 2 weeks.
Horseradish and elderberry
Horseradish and elderberry can be used separately and in combination. Here is a combination treatment.
Method of preparation: separate from each other pour boiling water (1 cup) carrot leaves and elderberry (with leaves). Insist during the day. Then strain both solutions and mix in a 1: 1 ratio. Rub the cervical spine and adjacent area once a day for 10 minutes. The course of therapy is 7 days.
The form of the medicine ointment gives pain relief to cervical osteochondrosis quickly.
Effectiveness is reduced if this form of treatment is used exclusively.
Mix egg whites (2-3) with butter in a ratio of 1: 2 until creamy gruel. Apply to the joint area once a day for 30 minutes and wrap with a terry towel.
It has a significant anti-inflammatory effect. There are several ways to use ginger:
- Pour 2-3 plant roots with olive oil and leave for 24 hours. Lubricate the neck with the resulting mixture once a day at night. The course of therapy is 2 weeks.
- Grind ginger root, add nutmeg and flaxseed oil. Cover the resulting gruel mixture with a towel and leave in a dark room for 8 hours. Rub into joints for 20 minutes for 7 days.
Eggs and mustard
Egg whites are rich in protein, and mustard has a pronounced irritating effect (improves local microcirculation) - this is the main reason for the use of this component in the treatment of osteochondrosis.
Method of preparation: mix 2 egg proteins and 1-1, 5 tbsp. l. spoons of mustard until creamy. Apply to affected area for 10-15 minutes. 7-day course.
Mustard can cause severe local tissue irritation. If the pain syndrome is severe, the procedure is not recommended.
Heating with ozokerite
Ozokerite is a naturally occurring wax. Often, this procedure is performed in a sanatorium along with paraffin heat treatment.
- pain relievers;
Method of use: the wax is heated in a special container until it turns into a liquid state. Then carefully pour into a container with sides (baking tin can be used) and wait for cooling to a temperature of 50 C. Then the resulting mass is separated from the container and applied to the affected area for local tissue heating.
Monitor the candle temperature carefully and avoid burns.
Recommendations on how to treat cervical osteochondrosis are generally known, as they can be used for all rheumatological diseases.
For effective disease prevention prevention, it is recommended to adhere to some simple but useful tips:
- physical activity (moderate);
- healthy eating (moderate salt intake);
- proper shoes (suitable size, heels 4-6 cm, padded soles).
Adhering to these rules is a guarantee of spinal health!